A very rare decorative Palissy Ware Majolica 8 day striking wall clock, circa 1870, on multicoloured ground, with green, cream, red, blue and brown decoration, surmounted by a lions head flanked by twin putti, with ribbon, leaf and scroll decoration, white enamel dial with attractive brass bezel and concave glass, the face marked Howell James & Co To The Queen, London, the hours marked in Roman numerals and minutes marked in Arabic numerals.
The French Japy Freres movement strikes the hours and half hours on a bell.
The rear of the majolica case is stamped TS for the famous Paris Majolica factory of Thomas Sargent.
Condition : When we acquired the clock the case was damaged between 9 o'clock and 11 o'clock positions and has now been professionally restored. The movement has been overhauled by our qualified Horologist. This rare and attractive clock, by renowned manufacturers/supplier, now presents in excellent condition.
Stock No. WG00018
Palissy ware is a 19th-century term for ceramics produced in the style of the famous French potter Bernard Palissy (c. 1510–90). Palissy's distinctive style of polychrome lead-glazed earthenware in a sombre earth-toned palette, using naturalistic scenes of plants and animals cast from life, was much imitated by other potters both in his own lifetime and especially in the 19th century.
This distinctive style of pottery is characterized by three-dimensional modeled, often aquatic, animals such as snakes, fish, lizards, frogs, and snails arranged onto large platters (wall plates, wall platters, chargers). Typically, each component is modeled and painted individually. The name 'Palissy' was also used by Minton & Co for a new range of lead-glazed earthenware: What is now known as majolica was a range of vibrantly coloured lead glazes launched in 1849 as Palissy ware.
Howell James & Company were a firm of jewellers and silversmiths based in Regent Street in London which operated between 1819 and 1911.
The firm Howell and James was founded in 1819 by James Howell and Isaac James who were originally silk mercers and retail jewellers. The company had premises at 5, 7 and 9 Regent Street and was noted for the variety and quality of its stock. In 1838 James left the business and the partnership then became known as Howell James & Co. By 1865 the firm employed over 140 women, most of whom lived above the shop.
The firm exhibited in London, at the Great Exhibition in 1851 and at the 1862 International Exhibition, and in Paris and the International Exposition of 1867. It sold items by students and designers of the South Kensington School.
At the London exhibitions of 1871 and 1872 the company exhibited jewellery by C.L. Eastlake, M. D. Wyatt, F. Leighton and L. F. Day. The company's 1878 Paris Exhibition stand was designed by Day. In 1889, company employee J. Llewellyn moved to Liberty & Co taking with him exclusive selling rights.
In 1881 the premises were reconstructed and these incorporated art pottery galleries. An exhibition was staged, of architectural faience, produced to the designs of M. B. Adams by Burmantofts. In 1884 the company became a limited company and their name changed to Howell & James Ltd.
Height 17". width 12.5", depth 5"
Contact Us About This Item