19th Century Howell James Gilt Bronze Strut Clock Swiss Movement
The clock diameter is 14cm and the case 17cm.
Gilt Bronze Strut Clock - Howell James & Co, 19th century.
A beautiful petite gilt bronze sun shaped strut clock by Howell James & Co, clock makers to Queen Victoria. This clock is contained in a blue case with dual crown ducal monograms to the front. There is also a crown ducal engraving on the back of the clock which appears to be two intertwined C's. This indicates that the clock was probably a special commission for a very important client.
The back of the clock is also engraved 'Howell James & Co to the Queen, London' and the number 5747.
The silvered face has a central cartouche with a geometric pattern with highlights in blue and red and delicate steeled hands. The gilt case is also decorated with a geometric pattern highlighted with turquoise stones and simulated agates.
The leather case is lined with velvet and silk and shows signs of wear.
The clock is in lovely condition, the movement has been lightly oiled and is in perfect working order, the face would benefit from a light clean and this will be undertaken in our workshop prior to dispatch.
Stock No. WG00017
Howell James & Company were a firm of jewellers and silversmiths based in Regent Street in London which operated between 1819 and 1911.
The firm Howell and James was founded in 1819 by James Howell and Isaac James who were originally silk mercers and retail jewellers. The company had premises at 5, 7 and 9 Regent Street and was noted for the variety and quality of its stock. In 1838 James left the business and the partnership then became known as Howell James & Co. By 1865 the firm employed over 140 women, most of whom lived above the shop.
The firm exhibited in London, at the Great Exhibition in 1851 and at the 1862 International Exhibition, and in Paris and the International Exposition of 1867. It sold items by students and designers of the South Kensington School.
At the London exhibitions of 1871 and 1872 the company exhibited jewellery by C.L. Eastlake, M. D. Wyatt, F. Leighton and L. F. Day. The company's 1878 Paris Exhibition stand was designed by Day. In 1889, company employee J. Llewellyn moved to Liberty & Co taking with him exclusive selling rights.
In 1881 the premises were reconstructed and these incorporated art pottery galleries. An exhibition was staged, of architectural faience, produced to the designs of M. B. Adams by Burmantofts. In 1884 the company became a limited company and their name changed to Howell & James Ltd.
Contact Us About This Item